I am a science fiction writer who lives and works in the western United States. My background in science, engineering, technology, and the military have given me an interesting set of experiences to begin explorations into speculative fiction. I am making an effort to be faithful to science while building a fun and interesting story. At an early age, science fiction made a huge impression on me. My later reading of the science fiction made me realize that the authors were seeing beyond the next horizon into a fantastic future. Fast forward to the twenty-first century, I realize that the spark influencing the authors of the past is alive and well. We may not live in the future they imagined, but our future holds equal promise and equal inspiration. My science fiction adventures are set during humanity's emergence and achievements as a class 1 civilization. I hope you enjoy the stories as much as I enjoyed writing them.
- Another Excerpt from Thunder Moon Tussleby Torn MacAlester Nils entered the habitat to see Deputy Miller wearing his coveralls, looking like a prospector herself. He wondered if she intended to make fun of him. He moved in and watched her fix the coffee, noticing she continued to struggle with it. Taking a seat, he watched without comment. She filled the […]
- New vignette: CommanderHere is another nice short by Torn MacAlester: Commander
- Excerpt from Thunder Moon Tussle“Stand by for inspection,” he heard Miller’s voice on the Station Communications line, giving him a thrill and a dreadful feeling at the same moment. “Yup,” Nils mustered his best cheerful voice. “I’ve got the manifest already on my pad.” Nils waited in silence, hoping she made this easy but fearing the truth. She […]
- The Science of Golf and OutgassingIf you haven't read the story Golf and Outgassing, you might want to look at it before checking out the article Science of Golf and Outgassing. I've provided a brief description of the science that inspired the story. This story also draws from my personal memories of watching the Apollo 14 Moon walk. EVA number two […]
- New vignette: Sins of the SonA new vignette by Torn MacAlester: Sins of the Son.
- Activity in Progress: TimelineI've been developing a timeline of events as part of worldbuilding. I plan to add information to this timeline as I publish more stories.
- New Short Fiction: The MountainA new short fiction: The Mountain by Torn MacAlester is available here.
- Excerpt from Torn MacAlester’s “Golf and Outgassing”An excerpt from "Golf and Outgassing" by Torn MacAlester is available on Fiction Fountain. As always, it is available here for free. The cover image is by Shannan Albright.
- Article: World Building for Science FictionIf you have not seen it yet, take a look at World Building for Science Fiction.
- UntitledA quotation from Thunder Moon Tussle by Torn MacAlester which will be available soon. This quote became known as the Prospector's Tenant.